Wednesday 21 April 2010

Jamie's Evaluation of Front Cover


The artist on my front cover has a very relaxed, serious pose whilst playing his guitar, this shows that he is concentrating and is confident about his up-coming career. When the photo was taken I knew the colour scheme was a red themed magazine, so I used background colours which would make the masthead stand out. Also I had to edit the cover image to make it brighter as when it was taken on the photo shoot the lighting wasn’t very bright; this also gave the image a more professional effect.
I knew by using this image for the front cover I would have a decent amount of room for the text. During the photo shoot we made the background by sticking magazines onto the wall which made it look like a professional photo shoot. As I had a professional background to the image I did not need to crop the artist out of the image.
I made the text next to the cover artist larger than the other text as this is the important main story so it had to be larger and bolder to stand out more from the other text.

The text on the front cover represents our target audience as I included bands and acts that are popular and our target audience would enjoy which I found out via the questionnaire which was handed out. Also I included a celebrity which fits into our target audience who will be featured in the magazine. This will represent our audience as they will want to know about the celebrity which will want to make them read the magazine. There will also be competitions in my magazine, and all teens love to compete against each other!

My front cover represents my magazine being a successful as it is the first to have the latest news on all bands than any other music magazine. I show this by using the words “exclusive interview”, this connotes that popular artists will come to us about interviews rather than any other magazine. This creates a positive view on our magazine as the audience believe that we have all the first interviews on bands, this will persuade readers to buy our magazine.

The cover line “Shia LaBeouf” links to my target audience as he is a well-known actor for our age group and has starred in films such as Transformers, Disturbia and Indiana Jones, these are films that our target audience would go to see. So when they see we gave interviews with him, they recognise who he is and want to find out more which will want to make them buy our magazine.

The Uses and Gratifications theory is also used in my magazine;
Inform & Educate - a quote from the front cover that says “I was at breaking point” is explained in an interview and is informing the audience what happened. There is also a feature called 200 reviews which educates the audience on new bands.
Entertainment - there is many different band interviews and reviews which will keep the audience entertained when reading.

I have used the Utopian Solutions theory by making the audience free of boredom and giving them excitement from my magazine by features such as reviews and interviews that are included in my magazine. My magazine can also clear the audience’s confusion by telling them what music they should be listening to and giving them top bands to listen to which will offer them clarity.

My front cover has similar conventions to other magazines. To make the masthead stand out and to make it more attractive we made it red which is used in a lot of music magazines. We also combined uppercase with lowercase letters in the masthead as this is commonly used by looking at our radial analysis. One dominant image is mainly used in most magazines so we done the same thing as they are the first thing the audience see so the image has to be attractive and eye-catching. To find an estimate price for this magazine I looked at many different magazines and came to a conclusion that £3.99 is a reasonable price for a magazine of this standard, we also found this out by looking at our radial analysis. I then added the price next to the barcode along with the date to keep the conventions of a music magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment