Wednesday 21 April 2010

Jamie's Evaluation of Double Page Spread


In my double page spread I chose my image carefully, it had to be a dominating photo but with space to the side for some text. I found a perfect photo to do this. The artist in my photo has been styled wearing informal and casual clothing; this represents him as being a much laid back artist. This style of clothing fits in with our genre of music for our magazine. The artist used in my double page spread is the same one used on my front cover but on a different photo shoot. We tried out many different photos for this page, by taking them from different angles and placing the artist on different areas of the photo. The sub-heading “the man behind the guitar” represents the artist being dedicated to him music as it implies he is always practising or singing. Also the pull quote suggests that he is also dedicated to his work as it shows he wasn’t doing so well but he kept on trying and finally made it.
The text represents the artist as being a normal guy “growing up in the city” shows he is ordinary and just like everyone else.

I have hit my target audience using the double page spread by styling my artist in the image in clothing that links to the genre of our magazine, this links to our target audience as they are also readers of this magazine therefore they will dress in the same way. The pull quote I have used in the text could also target our audience as it shows that the artist will never give up, this can also be the same for reader and have the same views as him.

The text also tells us about the life of the artist which also targets our audience as it explains how a normal person just like our target audience made it to the top, so they will want to find out how, this links to the Uses & Gratifications theory as this offers our target audience an escape from their normal lives to be like him. The double page spread also offers the audience entertainment and inform and educate as the story will entertain them and will inform them about the life of “Seth Moore”.

My double page spread follows the typical conventions of a music magazine by covering the whole double page with a dominant photo and having the artist to the side of the photo leaving a lot of the background leaving enough room for the text to go on without covering the artist. I used a heading and a sub-heading for the copy on my double page spread, I decided to do this as I found this was common amongst music magazine by looking at our radial analysis, this style was often used in Uncut and Q magazine. To keep the house style the same, I used the same colours throughout this page as the other pages which kept the continuity.


No comments:

Post a Comment