Thursday 22 April 2010

Frankie's Evaluation Of Double Page


For my double spread page I decided to make it look different to the front cover and contents page by making the photograph black and white but felt it was important to keep to the colour scheme. I styled my artist in fairly smart clothing which is normally seen on younger males and fits the criteria of the indie rock artist I wanted my magazine to provide, I then edited the contrast to make the photograph stand out more and look more professional. I used a checkered black and white guitar strap to contrast with the striped shirt worn by the artist to make it clearer that a musical instrument had been used for the photo shoot, the contrast has a positive effect on the photograph as it makes the strap noticeable and leads the reader to look down the page to see the guitar in the hands of the artist. It look a time to capture a photo that i felt would make the magazine look more professional but by taking photographs at different angles to see which worked better with the page I was able to successfully get the photograph I wanted.
The heading for the double page represents my act as someone who wants to share his experiences with his fans and let them into his world to find out about what he has been doing since his popularity has increased.
The last answer in the interview is used to possibly create more fans based in the UK as he talks about how he is always going to stay there 'I'm always gonna stay in the UK'. Showing his sensitive side by talking about his family, this makes the audience feel that they are being trusted with the information they have been told by the artist and therefore brings them closer together.

I used a line from the interview to use as a pull quote to grab my reader's attention and make them want to read on to see why they said what they did. I think the quote targets the audience as it shows he cares about them and wants to produce music they would like and find useful for their own lives 'I really wanted people to feel they could relate to what I was saying.'

'talks to Entity about his life in music' also targets our audience as they aspire to acts like 'Vince Flynn' and are able to find out what life in the limelight is like which is an example of 'Uses and Gratifications' and allows the reader to Escape from their lives. I also use the gratification 'Entertainment' within the double page spread as the interview contains questions which need answers about other acts and the artists views on them which can be entertaining for our target audience to read about.

I followed the conventions of a typical double spread page for a music artist interview by using a dominant image to take up the space of two pages, by taking the photograph and editing it so that half of the photograph was fairly plain in background and was not the focus of the photo, it made it easier when coming to adding writing to the image as I was able to simply edit the colour so that this was made even more basic in colour and that writing would show up clearer. By using a single image it allowed me to easily connect the two pages together. I used a cover line which would summarise what the interview was about which was used by Q in their review of Kid Cudi which means that my magazine sticks to the conventions of magazines that are currently published.
So that the house style is kept throughout the magazine, I styled the double spread to match the colour scheme of the front cover and therefore keeping the continuity of our magazine.


No comments:

Post a Comment