Thursday 22 April 2010

Frankie's Evaluation Of Front Cover



The artist on the front cover of my magazine has a pose in which he is facing straight ahead, symbolising that he is confident and serious about his career. I knew the colour scheme for our magazine and wanted to incorporate that on to my artist when I done the shoot. I knew that I was only having one image so I had to make sure that the pose and styling of the artist was enough to catch the readers eye. When taking the photos the lighting was not perfect so I had to edit the photographs after so that they looked right for the cover and looked more effective. To make the photo look more professional for the magazine I cut the artist out from the original photograph. The copy next to the artist is in a different style to the rest of text on the cover, I decided to do this as it stood out from the rest of the magazine and made it obvious that he was important in this months issue.

The copy on the front cover targets our audience and represents them as I concentrated on naming acts which are popular and well liked which will draw our audience in as that is the type of music they want to read about. The bottom of the magazine has a rough summary of what is included in the magazine and I wrote 'WIN' in capitals because as our audience is young they want to feel engaged to our magazine and by having competitions they can enter they will feel that they are taking part in what the magazine has to offer.

I represent the magazine as being successful and being the first to have the latest news to keep our audience up to date with what is going on in the music world. By stating 'First EVER interview' it creates the idea that my magazine is popular and bands prefer to be interviewed with us rather than other music magazines, which represents our magazine positively as our audience will want to buy the magazine as they will think if we have the first interviews with bands, we must have other interesting information and that it will be worth purchasing to read.

The cover line for my artist is 'Recreating Music'. I think this relates to the target audience of my magazine as they are the young generation which has a reputation for being different and also recreating themselves to have a different image so they are portrayed differently from old stereotypes, Which is what my artist is doing with his music.

I used the audience theory to provide Uses and Gratifications in my magazine:
Inform and Educate - A quote on my front cover explains how a band don't believe things are the same as they used to be, this is later explained in an interview which would inform the audience of the bands views and make them aware of their points.
The top 20 albums of the year so far allow my audience to be educated into what is popular and worth listening too according to my magazine.

Entertainment - The number of bands I have on my front cover represent interviews and reviews inside my magazine which provide my audience with a range of texts to entertain them.

I also used the theory of style: Utopian Solutions by making my audience free of boredom by giving them excitement from the artist interviews and photographs my magazine provides.
To get rid of their confusion about what music they should be listening to we give them the top bands we think should be listened too which makes their choices clearer, offering them clarity.

On the front cover the conventions of a typical music magazine are followed similarity. To keep the magazine looking bold and attractive I stuck to a common colour used for all types of magazines which is red. By combining this with an uppercase masthead which was aligned to take up the entire top part of the page I kept to the conventions of the magazines I had previously looked at in the Radial Analysis.
A dominant image was key in making the magazine look more eye-catching as it is the first thing the target audience would see and to have a photograph that presents the artist and the magazine well will help to attract buyers.
I was able to price my magazine as I looked at magazines before making my own and used their examples to help find one that was reasonable and that people would be willing to pay. I then put the price next to the barcode, keeping the conventions of all the music magazines I have looked at.


No comments:

Post a Comment