Wednesday 21 April 2010

Jamie's Evaluation of Contents Page


When making my contents page I needed to keep the conventions similar to any other music magazine. After studying my radial analysis we decided to make two columns of “features” and “regulars” so the content is clearly set out. Magazines such as Kerrang inspired us as they were very clearly laid out and also kept the house style.

By studying the radial analysis I found that other magazines include fourth coming events such as gigs into their contents page. This could also make the audience want to buy it to find out information about these events. The photography on this contents page has been chosen deliberately to fit the theme and style of the page. The photo was then edited to our desirability and was included as one of the features of the magazines, so I included some text explaining the picture and the band.

I represented this month’s issue of Entity in a positive way by including popular bands and artists in the features section which is more likely to attract our desired target audience. The bands also included in the features have also been interviewed so the readers will find out information they cannot find anywhere else in this magazine. Also the stories included could be left on cliff hangers and will tell the audience will be included in next months issue which will make them want to buy the next issue. The bands that I have included in my contents page fit into an era of the genre of music so the audience has a variety of different artists from old to new. I found this information by studying our radial analysis of current music. This allowed us to identify all the current popular songs to add to my features. I have kept the conventions of a music magazine by listing the current features of this magazine, but I also added a sentence beneath this heading explaining a little about the specific feature.

To make sure I hit my targeted audience I added a regular to the contents page called “Gig Guide”, in this feature the readers can check up coming gigs and information about them all, this links to my target audience as mainly gigs of our genre of music are made up of youthful people who love this kind of music, the same people who would read our magazine and will want to find out about the fourth coming event and will therefore buy my magazine. This also links to Richard Dyers theory of Utopian Solutions as the readers boredom is solved by attending these gigs/events which offer excitement. The feature “200 reviews” will offer the audience clarity as some readers will be confused about their favourite artists and this feature will offer them clarity.

Blumier and Katz Uses and Gratifications allows the feature “Entity News” informs and educates the reader on the latest news going on in the music industry such and gigs and new album releases.


No comments:

Post a Comment